Monday, August 23, 2010

'Glee' Creator Ryan Murphy, Cast Talk 'Big' Britney Spears Episode

"It was [Britney's] idea. I think she loves what the show's about, paying tribute to pop culture," Murphy said.By James Dinh





Britney Spears

Photo: Kevin Mazur/ Getty Images




Much like "Glee" 's Madonna-themed episode, the hype building around the show's Britney Spears tribute is growing. Show creator Ryan Murphy and cast members Lea Michele and Matthew Morrison recently dished some details about the upcoming "Britney/Brittany" episode, which is scheduled to air September 28.
"I just started directing it today at 5 [a.m.], which is why I look like hell," Murphy said during the TCA Press Tour on Monday, according to Zap2it. "She is arguably the most important female [musician] other than Lady Gaga in the last 10 years, so we're sort of doing an episode not only of her music but also her public image."
Murphy explained that most of the younger cast pursued music backgrounds due to Spears' impact on pop culture. "All the kids on the show, many of them went into singing and dancing because of her. At the heart of it, it's a show designed to show off the skills of Heather Morris, who plays Brittany," he said.
"It was [Britney's] idea. I think she loves what the show's about, paying tribute to pop culture in a very loving, respectful, kind way. She responded to that," the show's creator continued.
Murphy has previously described the tribute as "hallucinogenic," saying, "We're paying tribute to her in a sort of fun and unexpected way."
"Glee" star Lea Michele spoke to "Access Hollywood" about the music-jammed episode and it appears that the intercoms of William McKinley High School will be transmitting nonstop Spears for the show. "I just read the script last night. It was awesome. It's gonna be a big episode. I called Ryan [series creator] this morning and said, 'How are we gonna do this?' There's like 15 music videos within this episode, like the Madonna episode. I'm super-excited and I've always loved Britney Spears, and I get to do something really cool," she said.
"What I loved about the episode is there's old songs, there's new songs, and Ryan also does what was really cool in the Madonna episode, how he took a song and had the boys sing it. He does the same thing with Britney and I can't wait to hear it because the idea sounds so cool," Michele continued.
And as the old saying goes, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. The actress revealed that she's "re-creating a Britney video" but couldn't mention which one.
While Michele was always ready to put on her schoolgirl outfit, Matthew Morrison, who plays Glee club director Will Schuester, wasn't originally too keen on an episode devoted to the singer. "I like Britney. I got in trouble earlier for comments I made saying I'm anti-Britney, but I'm not," he told E! Online.
Morrison's comments will now be part of the episode's storyline. "I think in this episode, they're going to mirror those comments and I'm going to be very anti-Britney in the episode because I don't like what she represents. ... It's gonna be a lot of fun and some crazy stuff is gonna happen."
What songs and public scandals do you think should be used in the Britney Spears-themed episode? Let us know in the comments!



Related Photos


The Evolution Of: Britney Spears


Related Artists


Britney Spears

Paulina Rubio Paz Vega Pink Piper Perabo

No comments:

Post a Comment