Thursday, April 28, 2011

Ja Rule Talks About How Prison Bid Will Affect His Family

'I'm mad at myself,' multiplatinum rapper says during MTV News' 'RapFix Live.'
By Rob Markman, with reporting by Sway Calloway


Ja Rule
Photo: MTV News

Ja Rule is set to turn himself in for a two-year prison bid in June but still found the time to visit MTV News' "Rap Fix Live." Rule, who pleaded guilty to attempted criminal possession of a weapon after a 2007 gun bust in NYC, sat with Sway and expressed regret, feeling like he let his wife and kids down.

"I'm disappointed," the multiplatinum rapper said. "I'm mad at myself."

Rule spoke specifically on his 15-year-old daughter Brittany, but expressed concern about his two sons as well. "My daughter, she's 15 right now," Rule explained. "These are her last couple of years. She's about to graduate from high school, and she's going to college. She needs her father. My boys really need me right now too, as well as my wife. They need Daddy, and Daddy f---ed up."

Still, despite his upcoming jail stint, Ja was remarkably upbeat and looked for the positive in the situation, hoping youngsters will use him as an example and leave guns alone. "This is something that's bad, but there's gotta be some good that comes out of it," he said. "Even if there are other kids that look at me and say, 'Let me put my burner down.' Even if it's that, then there is something learned from my mistakes."

His upcoming jail stay will mark the first that the former Murder Inc. star has been incarcerated, but he has already received advice from an old friend and reputed drug lord Kenneth "Supreme" McGriff, who is currently serving life behind bars." I spoke to Preme two weeks ago," Ja said. "He let me know about my bid goin' in; how to bid. I never bidded, so you gotta know how to bid."

Rule — who also plans to release his new album Pain Is Love 2 on June 7, the day before he is scheduled to start his two-year prison term — hopes he can be out in as little as 16 months with good behavior.

Related Videos Related Artists

Liz Phair Lokelani McMichael Lori Heuring Lorri Bagley

No comments:

Post a Comment