Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Emilio Rojas Links With DJ Green Lantern For Big Break

Emilio also enlists J.U.S.T.I.C.E. League and V12 the Hitman for his upcoming mixtape Breaking Point.
By Rob Markman


Emilio Rojas
Photo: MTV News

Don't Sleep: Necessary Notables

Mixtape: Breaking Point

Headliner: Emilio Rojas

Real Spit: Emilio Rojas puts a lot into his lyrics. It's that attention to detail that got him noticed by XXL in December, when the popular rap magazine launched a 50-artist poll for their upcoming 2012 Freshman cover. Though he's a rap newcomer, the Rochester, New York, native has been grinding for years. On Thursday, Emilio will drop his fourth mixtape, Breaking Point, for free online with his mentor DJ Green Lantern.

"It's a little bit of a different sound. Less sample-based sound, a little more synthy, mid-tempo," Emilio told Mixtape Daily of Breaking Point's production.

With beats from the Grammy-winning trio J.U.S.T.I.C.E. League and V12 the Hitman, Breaking Point is shaping up to be the perfect follow-up to Rojas' 2010 tape, Life Without Shame. While his last effort boasted appearances from Big K.R.I.T., Killer Mike, Yelawolf and Mickey Factz, Emilio chose to make BP a solo affair. "I feel like the Life Without Shame project had a lot of rap features on it and I kinda just wanted to rap on my own," he said.

Rojas did include R&B features for his hooks, but no other rapper was invited to take part in the project. The title track finds the nimble-tongued lyricist pouring his heart out with multilayered bars. When talking about his parents, he gets deep. "My daddy learned she was pregnant and he was so angered/ He tried to end it, I'm no stranger to coat hangers/ He getting livid, sittin' in on the clinic visits... he takes it out on my mama 'cause he was into hittin'/ And that's probably the reason my sister is into women," Emilio painfully rhymes.

Not all of Breaking Point is so heavy however. On "I Got it," Rojas explores his wild and ignorant side. "It's gonna catch some people off guard, but it's fun," he teases.

On "Pimpin'," ER once again teams with J.U.S.T.I.C.E. League. At first, Emilio bucked the production trio's direction. He wanted to perform the song's hook himself, but the League's Rook suggested using a seasoned vocalist to sing the chorus. "Rook made me change the hook on ['Pimpin' '], which I wasn't happy about," he said, "but when the hook came in, it was good. Rook made the right call on that."

And Emilio Rojas made the right call with Breaking Point.

For other artists featured in Mixtape Daily, check out Mixtape Daily Headlines.

Related Artists

Michelle Rodriguez Michelle Trachtenberg Mila Kunis Milla Jovovich

No comments:

Post a Comment